Community Council Spreads Joy with The Holiday Coalition

Community Council bringing gifts to the Holiday Coalition on a December morning | provided by Leah Vivirito

This year’s Community Council sponsored 23 kids for the annual Hudson Holiday Coalition charity event.

The Holiday Coalition is a non-profit organization based in Hudson. Community members sponsor families and their children who need support providing their family with gifts, clothing and donations during the holiday season. The Community Council has partnered with the Holiday Coalition for the past nine years, but the school has been involved for decades.

As gifts and clothing came in on Monday, December 4, Community Council members wrapped the parcels to Christmas music while others compiled brightly colored gift bags with tissue paper and bows. Transporting those gits in larger bags, students got into the holiday spirit.

“I felt like Santa Claus because I was helping to bring joy and happiness to kids in need,” said freshman Brayden Folan.

He continued on how the event gave him more perspective and empathy towards his community.

“Usually around Christmas, it’s always about what I want, and what’s going to make me happy. But this allowed me to really see what other people need and what they’ve never experienced,” said Folan.

Trying to organize an event in a busy time of year is a challenge, but an important one.

“It was thoughtful for Ms. Viv to send them out right away to the Holiday Coalition, so these kids can have their gifts for Christmas,” said senior Lila Rice.

This year, 18 classes signed up to support Hudson families in need and to bring holiday cheer.

“Participating in Holiday Coalition in any way you can whether you’re buying gifts or contributing in other ways is important,” said junior Emma Burney.

Each year, the high school gets several families that need support. Classes sign up to sponsor that family’s needs and receive wish lists and information about them for students to purchase gifts.

Aside from the classes that the Community Council organizes here, Hudson residents can sponsor a family to be part of the Holiday Coalition. Hudson sponsors drop off gifts at Hudson Appliance the first week of December which are later distributed to all the children to fulfill their Christmas morning wishes.  

After this weekend’s Winterfest organized by the Junior Boosters, enough money was raised to support almost 40 kids with gift cards in addition to the Community Council’s efforts. 

“[The Holiday Coalition] provides resources that a family might not be able to. It can bring some joy to little kids who might notice that other kids have more than them. It takes that stress off of the families” said advisor Vivirito.

Community Council is the schoolwide student government whose mission is to communicate with and for the student body. They work together to achieve common goals, foster a positive school environment, invest in school improvement, and create opportunities for student engagement.  

Last year, Community Council hosted events schoolwide including a dodgeball tournament, HHS activities fair, as well as drives and fundraisers. They are excited to host more events, and thrilled to state the Honorable Hawk Recognition program.

Community Council collaborating with Holiday Coalition brings awareness to those whose families struggle. 

“This gives kids an opportunity to get a traditional Christmas experience,” said Burney.