How Necessary Are February And April Vacation?

Jordan Cullen, Special to The Big Red

As a student who is usually swamped with work for the short term and long term having vacation time and weekends are very helpful and important but are they really necessary? April break is a vacation that is needed and greatly appreciated but February break seems kind of redundant.

Most of the time they get back from their week and a half Christmas/Winter Break and right away are asking when the next one will be. February break for Hudson High students is a little over a month after coming back from December Break. That time that we get off is not needed and that time would better be put to use if we got out earlier in the year.

HHS students’ last day of school with zero snow days, which isn’t that likely, is Thursday, June 14th. If the administration got rid of February Break, students and faculty would get out on Thursday, June 7th. Saying from experience, having more time in the summer is much nicer than having to spend a week in the freezing New England weather.

Also getting rid of February Break would mean around the same time frame between breaks. We start school in late August and go until late December which is about 4 months. The end of Winter Break until April Break is also about 4 months, so the students who complain that they ‘have not had a break in so long’ are incorrect.

April Vacation is necessary, however, because it gives students and faculty time to recollect and study before AP tests and finals which is greatly appreciated and needed. April is also usually a time of year with warmer weather so there are more things to do so people can be outside more which benefits everyone.

Some other suggestions for breaks for HHS students throughout the school year are to get rid of both February and April Break and replace it with a week-long vacation in March, the middle month between the two. This is a good suggestion but as parents sometimes plan a vacation during these weeks, it would be easier to plan if at least one of the week was still intact.

For many schools in Massachusetts, it has already been put into place that if too many snow days are called then February Break will be ‘cancelled’ and students will have school during this time. Amending this would not be that hard as people are already aware of it and with proper notification will be prepared to not take vacations during this week. It also seems like no student or faculty wants to go until June 30th and get a week taken off of their planned break.

February Vacation really just isn’t necessary and is taking time away from all of our summers. Wouldn’t you rather get out earlier in the summer sun than have a week in the snow and cold?