Groundhog Day

A beautiful groundhog admires the day. | Photo taken from Google

Veronica Mildish, Editor

Having a rodent as a meteorologist is out of the ordinary, but on Groundhog Day it is expected.

Dating back to 1887 in Punxsutawney, PA, today marks 142 years of this tradition.

At 7:30 AM, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow when he leaves his burrow, then winter can be expected for the next six weeks. If he gives no glance, then spring should be expected shortly. This morning, he did not see his shadow, inspiring hope in many that spring will soon be here. 

Of course, there is no real science behind a groundhog seeing his shadow; The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says that Punxsutawney Phil is only right about 40% of the time. However, people across America still look to see what Phil, the radiant rodent, has to say (or see) about the upcoming weeks. 

If Phil sees his shadow when he leaves his hole then winter can be expected for the next six weeks. If he gives no glance, then spring should be expected shortly. This morning, he did not see his shadow, inspiring hope in many that spring will soon be here.

Depending on the person you ask their opinion on this holiday will vary.

“I personally believe that it’s a little bit stupid,” freshman Kathryn Mattocks said, “I find it interesting because people base the weather off of a groundhog, and it’s not really accurate, but I guess it’s cool to celebrate.”

Other people have a much more positive opinion.

“I think it’s kind of cool,” sophomore Arthur Metheral said, “It tells us we have six more weeks of winter.”

And though this holiday may simply be silly, or “Fine” as junior William McLaughlin referred to it, it is a popular tradition with over 40,000 people descending upon the small town of Punxsutawney and many checking social media nationwide, the tradition of Punxsutawney Phil  continues to live on.