Superbowl LVII Predictions: Quarter by Quarter

Trent McDuffie could be the MVP of the Super Bowl LVIII | photo by Scott Winters/Icon Sportswire, Getty Images

The kickoff for Superbowl LVIII is hours away. With that, many odds, wagers and predictions ride on the outcome of the big game. Based on stats from this year and observations of each team’s players, I envision the game being a close one. Here’s exactly how I see it playing out, quarter by quarter, minute by minute:

Harrison Butker | photo by Timothy A. Clary, AFP, Getty Images

1st Quarter: 7-6 49ers. After the Chiefs win the coin toss and defer, the 49ers start strong with a 45-yard catch and run from Deebo Samuel, followed by an 11-yard dump-off pass to Christian McCaffery for the first touchdown.

The Chiefs answer back with a 44-yard field goal from Harrison Butker and after a Chiefs defensive stop, Butker kicks his second from 49 yards out to end the first quarter.

Chase Young | file photo KTSM Channel 9 News

2nd Quarter: 13-10 Chiefs. The 49ers start with the ball and after a long drive, Jake Moody misses a 53-yard kick. The 49ers shortly give the ball back to their offense due to a Chase Young strip sack.

The Chiefs’ mistake leads to a 43-yard field goal from Jake Moody.

The Chiefs’ drive consisting of a few quick pass plays adds 7 points to their score, ending with an Isaiah Pacheco 2-yard push into the endzone.

The 49ers get the ball back giving Brock Purdy a chance to take the lead going into the half.

With around 50 seconds left in the half and a 4th and 1 in Chiefs territory, Brock Purdy is pressured and Trent Mcduffie deflects Purdy’s attempt to Brandon Aiyuk. The Chiefs can’t get anything going at the end of the half and enter halftime with a 3-point lead.

George Kittle | file photo KTSM Channel 9 News

3rd Quarter: 30-17 Chiefs. With a 3-point lead and the ball in a good spot, the Chiefs land an even better spot after a 27-yard Travis Kelce post-route touchdown.

The 49ers in the most trouble they’ve been in the whole game respond with a 51-yard George Kittle touchdown.

The Chiefs’ offense goes back on the field looking to gain back the momentum and partially does so with Harrison Butker’s 55-yard field goal which is his third of the game.

Brock Purdy is given a chance to redeem himself for his last drive of the first half. However, he does the opposite by throwing a pick-six to Trent Mcduffie who has been terrorizing him the whole game. The 49ers end the 3rd quarter around midfield, edging panic mode.

Chris Jones | photo by Reed Hoffmann, file photo: LAPRESSE

4th Quarter: 37-31 Chiefs. Kyle Shanahan knows his back is against the wall and relies on his 2nd-year quarterback. Purdy delivers with a 15-yard first-down pass to Jauan Jennings to cut the Chiefs’ lead down to 6.

The Chiefs drive stalls quickly and the 49ers get the ball back with a chance to take the lead. But they can’t convert a 4th and 2 on the 40-yard line to a Chris Jones, who tackles for loss.

Patrick Mahomes tries to ice the game and lobs a second down wheel route to Marquez Valdes-Scantling but it is intercepted by Ji’ayir Brown keeping the 49ers in the game.

The 49ers drive down quickly, led by Purdy, and end with a 29-yard rush by Christian McCaffrey. The 49ers have a 1-point lead and the Chiefs have the ball with 3 minutes left in the game and both teams have all timeouts.

The Chiefs’ drive starts with back-to-back Travis Kelce catches which gets them down to the 49ers’ 25-yard line the Chiefs successfully score by an 8-yard Rashee Rice curl route and they are now leading by 6 with 1:54 left in the game.

The 49ers start their drive on their 29-yard line and immediately Purdy finds Aiyuk for a 19-yard corner route that stops the clock. Purdy looks for Aiyuk again but Mcduffie jumps up and tips the pass to himself and intercepts Purdy again to end the game and win the game for the Chiefs.

Super Bowl MVP: Trent Mcduffie. Stats: 7 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 TD