American Students Not Benefiting from Bilingualism

Cameron Burke, Special to The Big Red

Americans have this belief that the rest of the world speaks English. This is true in some places but not most. There are 375 million people who speak English as their primary language and more than 50 countries speak English as their primary language.

The American education system disadvantages its students when it does not emphasize foreign language programs. This is hurting most American students who can only speak one language fluently.  Just because English is the lingua franca (or common language) of the world, doesn’t mean American students shouldn’t learn another language.

Students shouldn’t expect other countries to embrace their inability to learn a foreign language, how arrogant and non-compliant.

According to the Pew Research Center, American students are lagging behind in comparison to their European counterparts when it comes to foreign language. There is no national mandate for American schools on the subject of learning a foreign language and the topic has even been seen as unimportant across the country.

The growth of word translating apps has dwindled the need to become fluent in a second language. Why spend time in a class when all you have to do is take a picture and the sign is translated? The convenience of this technology is very tempting, but the education of a second language has cognitive and academic benefits.

A multitude of studies reveals that bilingual brains are more developed than monolingual brains. Those who speak multiple languages often can comprehend and memorize information in a more efficient manner. This is also true about their problem-solving abilities. Those who learn another language have to make inferences about their surroundings when using their second language.

It’s like the brain is building muscles, and is working out different muscle groups. When it uses another language a different group of muscles grow and becomes stronger, which then helps to build a bigger more efficient brain.

Learning a second language not only boosts your cognitive abilities, but also builds a passion for another culture; creating a love for the language and culture. Language learning inspires students to travel and immerse themselves within another culture, further educating themselves, and leaving their safe space and adventure out into the world. Language isn’t merely a tool for communication but an aspect of a culture.

So when you have the option to choose between taking another year of foreign language, just take it. Build that passion for another culture, help your brain develop, and become the best student you can be. Don’t just take it because guidance says it will look good on your transcript. Push yourself, improve yourself, and the world around you.

Para un mejor estudiante (Spanish), für ein besseres morgen (German), pour un avenir meilleur (French), per un mondo migliore (Italian).  

Translation: For a better student, for a better tomorrow, for a better future, for a better world.