Pamela McDonald Retires

McDonald with her AP Chemistry class. Provided by Avani Kashalikar

Jason Ford, Staff Writer

After seven years teaching at Hudson High, science teacher Pamela McDonald has decided to retire from teaching.

McDonald started her career working in special education for 13 years and teaching at Monson for 21 years before moving to Hudson. While in Monson, she also was president of the local chapters of their president’s union.

Teaching wasn’t always her plan for her career. Before entering her current profession, McDonald wanted to go into cancer research.

“It was a tough time and all the places were laying off so I kind of fell into a job teaching special ed,” McDonald said. “Once I started to [teach], then I decided I would rather be a teacher than work in cancer research.”

During her tenure teaching at Hudson High, McDonald has taught every level of chemistry there is as well as environmental science and forensic science.

McDonald’s favorite part of teaching has been helping kids learn and making them feel better.

Pamela McDonald on her wedding day. She renewed her vows in Hawaii, one of her favorite places to travel

Of the many memories McDonald reflected on, it was the hands-on moments that stay with her. She said, “Just doing demos with kids and seeing them get all excited.”

Not all of her fondest memories are based in chemistry academia. She mentioned one of her favorite moments came from her first year teaching at Hudson when she was teaching physics. Her students played “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey on tuning forks and were singing and dancing.

Another part of her job that she enjoys is studying the health of the Assabet River in her AP Chemistry class. After the AP exam, her class looks at many different factors in the water, such as pH or oxygen levels. t

“We really have a good time bonding while working with the river,” McDonald said.

From my experience in her class, I can say she is an understanding person and her class was fun and enjoyable.

Many students in chemistry echoed those sentiments.

McDonald and her husband renewing their vows.

“I will miss her kindness and her humor,” junior Olivia Fahey said.

“I like how she knows what’s best for us even if it’s going to be hard,” junior Savannah Gao said.

AP Chemistry is generally known as a difficult class, yet Mcdonald comes in hand with a plan for success. She is always dedicated to ensuring her students do their best.

“She’s really nice, I like her overall personality,” sophomore Akash Ghoshroy added.

“She’s my favorite teacher, I like everything about her class,” sophomore Lilly Fistori said.

Junior Thuy-Tien Nguyen said, “When you get to know her, she treats you like her own grandchild and makes you feel like you’re part of her family.”

Family is a core aspect of McDonald’s life. Every weekend, she takes her grandchildren to soccer games, cheering them on in rain or shine. She also knows her family’s birthdays by heart.

McDonald mentioned she would enjoy traveling around the world and spending time with her husband. The place she would most like to travel to is Hawaii.

McDonald’s legacy has been cemented within the walls of Hudson High. She will retire as a Hawk for life.