Crossing the Finish Line

Bill Gaudere sets the pace in a road race

Olivia Downin, Managing Editor

After working as a paraeducator at Hudson High for ten years, and coaching the runners at HHS for 11, William (Bill) Gaudere is retiring. 

Gaudere’s 11 years at the high school were preceded by a 33-year career at Verizon. 

“I definitely stumbled into [teaching]. I was here for coaching every day, so I decided to say ‘I’m here, why not take an active role at the school’” said Gaudere. 

Although Gaudere is retiring from teaching, he will be at the school for one more year coaching cross country and indoor track. 

“Between cross country, indoor, and outdoor track, a great group of kids come through” Gaudere continued, “Seeing kids that weren’t that athletic coming in the 8th grade and then they turn into superstars by the time they get out of here. Just seeing the kids develop is something I really enjoyed.” 

While Gaudere is excited to sleep-in in the morning, he will definitely miss seeing HHS students every day. 

But in his heart, he knows “It’s time to move on.” 

Retiring from all work, aside from coaching, Gaudere will stay busy with projects around his house, being with friends and family, and traveling. In a recent faculty meeting, staff raved about his homemade chili.

Bill Gaudere rounds the corner in a road race

Traveling will be a welcomed addition to his new schedule. When asked where he wants to travel, Gaudere responded simply, “Anywhere and everywhere.” 

Gaudere will stay active, either running or kayaking, or biking.

Reflecting on advice he’d give to his students and athletes, he said “Just enjoy the time here because it’s flying by, it’s gonna fly by. What I’d say to the kids- give it your best effort and be happy with that.”