Cell Phone Holders not Holding up

A student sneaks their cellphone behind their Chromebook

An overwhelming majority of students have reported that the cell phone policy is not working.

It has been almost 7 months since The Big Red published the article Students and Staff Divided. Now, with weeks left in the school year, we decided to follow up on this policy and see if the views of students or staff have changed. 

The Hudson High School Student Handbook, states, “Possession of and the use of electronic devices during the school day is a privilege… administration may revoke this privilege and prohibit any student from bringing electronic devices onto school property for any reason deemed appropriate.” 

In an interview with Dr. Medieros, he reiterated the main goal of the policy was to improve the community. He said, “Part of the cell phone policy was to limit distraction, make sure students are fully present in the moment of their learning, and that they are able to engage in the classroom community without worrying about what’s happening on their phone.” 

However, he did acknowledge, “I am starting to see a few too many cell phones in the hallways or bathrooms when otherwise they should be in class.” 

He further stated “Any changes in the policy should be a mutual conversation between the student leadership, the staff, and myself as a principal,” he continued,  “I’m always willing to listen and to hear feedback.”

When asked if he was still planning on meeting with students and staff to discuss possible changes, he had not responded before press time.

Students across the board were not in favor of the policy, and many are growing frustrated.

“I do think there has been a change [since the fall] in the students following the policy because kids now have been using their phones more sneakily,” said 8th grader Gabriella Alonge.

On April 6, reporters Olivia Downin and Bridget OKeefe visited lunches one, two, and three with a QR code to a survey accepting responses on the opinions of the cell phone policy. 

Senior Alexis Gigliotti wrote in the survey that the policy is “overprotective and controlling. They treat us like children. I believe it’s dangerous to not be able to have your phones.”

“It’s horrible.” wrote freshman Riley Maksymiak in the survey. 

While some students don’t like this policy, others are trying to look on the bright side. 

“It’s not that bad; it’s become a norm at this school,” said sophomore Joey Edie.

Yet others saw the policy as business as usual.

“I don’t think it made a huge difference because, at this point in the year, teachers who didn’t do it on their own in the first place don’t really enforce it anymore,” said another student in the survey who wished to remain anonymous. 

Many other students had colorful commentary, some not suitable for print.

“I think the goals of the policy were to keep kids in classrooms and prevent that distraction. We were also hoping to be uniform in its application so that it would be applied not just in one room but in all rooms and be effective.” reflected history teacher Leah Vivorito.

After months of surveys and lunchtime interviews, it seemed to be clear the majority of the student body still has animosity toward the policy. 

We’d still love to hear your thoughts on the matter.  You can fill out the survey here.