Varsity Cheerleading Wins Silver at State Championships

Ella Spuria

Varsity Cheerleading Team cheering on the sidelines for Boys Varsity Basketball against Lunenburg |by Ella Spuria

Ella Spuria, Staff Writer

The Hudson High Cheerleading Competition Team competed in the MSAA Game Day State Championship and placed second out of 12 other teams at the event at Shepard Hill Regional High School this past weekend.

“It went extremely well! The team hit a perfect routine,” said this year’s Head Coach Mariah Comeau.

The team also won first place at the Blackhawk Invitational where they competed in the Game Day Division on February 18.

“Obviously there were restrictions on what we could do and could not do, but I think we did a good job overcoming the challenges,” said eighth grade varsity Cheerleader Kari Flood.

And due to the pandemic, that was their first competition since 2019.

“It felt different without my team,” said Flood, “once you become close with your teammates they feel like family. It feels weird not having practices after school with the girls after having them consistently throughout the season.”

Comeau stated that “It was pretty much a brand new team.”

Only three of the 18 girls on the varsity team had been cheering for HHS in years prior, with many of the new members being freshman and sophomores.

And Comeau herself was new to the team as well. This season was her first as HHS Head Cheerleading Coach.

“I loved it!” Coach Comeau said. “This team is so much fun and extremely hard working.”

Even with a hardworking team, Flood said that “The thought of getting back into it was scary. We were worried about the expectations of our team because of the previous titles.”

Hudson won first at States in 2018, and second in 2019; only leaving one member of the 2018 team on this season’s team.

“My main focus is rebuilding the program so once we get back to the top, we can stay there,” stated Comeau.

Yesterday’s competition concluded the 2021-2022 cheerleading season at HHS.

The team plans to compete in the fall next season because that’s when they normally compete. Comeau stated that there are more teams that compete in the fall, so the team’s goal is to increase the skill level in their routines.

“I think we’re going to have an even better shot next fall because so many of the upcoming eighth graders have more experience,” said eighth grade cheerleader Sofia Martins.

To support the cheerleaders, all students are encouraged to go to the team’s competitions in the fall and cheer them on.

“The cheerleaders really feed off of the crowd and having people cheering really helps!” said Comeau.

Tryouts for the Cheerleading Season of 2022-2023 will be hosted in the spring. All students at HHS are welcome to attend.

“We have some very young talent with so much potential so I’m excited to watch these athletes grow…I am so proud of every athlete on this team for believing in each other and themselves.” Comeau expressed.