Senior Editors Reflect on their Journalism Experience

Back to Article
Back to Article

On March 9, 2017 Dakota Antelman and Siobhan Richards attended the awards ceremony at Suffolk University for the Greater Boston High School Newspaper competition, where they received an Honorable Mention. | by Amy Vessels

by Lily Clardy

Few students fight to take a class for a fourth time, but editors Siobhan Richards and Dakota Antelman did just that at the end of their junior year. Journalism had become more than an class to them. They realized that communications was a career they wanted to pursue.

The Program of Studies included only three years of journalism classes, so they met with Principal Reagan to argue for a fourth year of the class. They convinced the principal to add a fourth year, which was called Advanced Journalism IV. 

But, when they first joined the class in 9th grade, Richards and Antelman had different mindsets.

Richards considered Journalism to be a study hall until she was able to voice her opinions and inform people about what was going on in the community. Because of that, she kept taking the class.

Richards also loved photography, but she never thought she was great at it.

Journalism gave her the opportunity to improve upon the quality of her pictures, and because of that, during junior year, Richards finally saw the beauty in her pictures.

She had no idea what she wanted to do with her life until she took this class.

“Everyone has a thing that makes them special and unique, and I think that Journalism helped me find that special thing. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life before this class.”

Because of this class, Antelman was able to gain confidence in himself and in talking to new people.

“I was the new kid,“ Antelman says, “and I’m gay so that doesn’t help. I had a lot to be self-conscious about.”

When Antleman first took this class, he was only interested in sports writing, but by end he became more interested in investigative stories.

When Antelman worked on an investigative story, he mainly focused on mental health and drug addiction. He could see a clear impact on others because of his articles.

Antelman appreciates the fact that journalism helped him to know his community and to make himself known even when he did not have much power.

For four months during his sophomore year, Antelman wrote his first investigative piece on academic stress. Just after a few hours of submitting his article online, it hit 1,000 views, and it kept climbing.

At 16 Antelman already saw his content being taught in classes. Hudson High School health teacher Jeannie Graffeo printed out copies of Antelman’s article and devoted a whole class to talk about the issues that he addressed and how they have a huge effect on the community.

“High school was not an overwhelmingly positive experience for me,” Antelman says, “but I think for the most part Vessels’s class was often the haven for that, where I was able to be curious and able to have room to fail.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Senior Editors Reflect on their Journalism Experience”

1. Lynda Chilton on June 15th, 2018 11:37 pm

Great article! Those are some big shoes to fill! I love reading the Big Red!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Senior Editors Reflect on their Journalism Experience

Featured

Girls Varsity Soccer

Featured

Girls Varsity Volleyball

Arts

German Exchange Program Continues into its 20th Year

Featured

Football v.s. Clinton (Gallery)

Featured

Hudson High Drills ALICE Procedure

Featured

Paraprofessional Terry Herring Retires after 37 Years of Teaching

Featured

Senior Develops Interest in Family Business

Featured

Speech Pathologist Kathy Murphy Retires after 30 Years

Featured

Graduation 2018 (Gallery)

Featured

Baccalaureate (Gallery)