Logging Off from Hudson High

Bruce Hedison Retires

Alex Cutler, Staff Writer

Bruce Hedison will be the first to tell you that he comes off as a “curmudgeon”, but any student who has had him over his 33-year teaching career in Hudson knows that he is an innovative, caring, passionate teacher who is the reason so many of the STEM electives exist at this school…even if he’s too modest to admit it.

Hedison first started teaching at Hudson High right out of college in 1990 as an architecture teacher. The next year, he was moved to the middle school where he taught wood shop. 

Hedison describes it as “controlled chaos.”

“I had 14-30 7th-8th grade students with four bandsaws, two table saws, electric sanders, you name it with no ventilation…so I had to run a big fan and blow the sawdust out the back door,” Hedison recalls

As he tells this story of the woodshop with sarcastic wit, a change of demeanor washes across his face as he smiles, recalling fondly the experience.

“It was a great experience and I loved seeing what the kids could create. I’ll never forget one of the best days was a reindeer basket project, and it was the day before winter break and all the kids are walking home from school, carrying the reindeer baskets they made that they’d be giving as gifts. That was a highlight,” he said

Prior to Hedison taking over the woodshop program, students were only allowed to use handsaws. He showed them the proper way to use power tools.

In 1995 he was asked to go back to the high school to teach the robotics program when Hudson received a National Science Foundation Grant. The robotics program we have today started because Hedison took it over.

In time, he began teaching Architectural Design, and Graphic Design programs.

“When I came back to the high school we didn’t have Architectural Design and Graphic Design so over time I brought them back and now we have all three classes that the students can take,” said Hedison.

Soon new teachers needed to be hired. There were waiting lists to get into a Hedison design or robotics course.

Hedison attended the University of Massachusetts Lowell (then, Lowell State and Technological Institute). At the time he wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps in engineering since he admired his father’s job at Raytheon as a designer of short-range missiles.

He later realized that architecture is what he really wanted to study and to teach it. He would transfer to Fitchburg State for technology education. After that, his first teaching job was here in Hudson, where he has been since.

One of Hedison’s best memories at Hudson High was when he first chaperoned juniors and seniors on the Amazon field trip with his good friend and colleague June Murray in 2012. 

“It was an eye-opening, wonderful experience, and I loved sharing the experience with the students of Hudson High.”

Hedison greatly appreciates the people that he has met in the Hudson School District.

“The relationships that I have formed with the students and the faculty over the years have been one of the best parts,” Hedison said.

Hedison also described how he loves to see the students grow up and change over the years.

“I enjoy seeing the students coming here in the 8th grade and when they leave as a 12th grader seeing how they have matured how they found a direction in life and if they took my classes how that has helped them form their future,” Hedison says 

Outside of school, Hedison is a real estate agent. Once he leaves Hudson High in June he will continue to do property management and design kitchens and baths for people. He is looking forward to continuing this job and helping people out. He still has an active woodshop license and working with his hands brings him joy.

He also is looking forward to not waking up early in the morning for school.

“Something I will not miss is waking up at 5 am,” Hedison said. 

Students at Hudson High love how real he is with them; he is able to talk to the students and joke around. 

“He’s a very laid back and chill teacher which was part of the fun during the class, he has a good sarcastic humor and is able to joke with his students. Even though it’s my last year he still made me want to come to class, it was a great way to end before going off to college,” said Tanner Cutler.

As his last day approaches, he leaves this advice to students and staff.

“Don’t make assumptions. Treat everybody how you’d like to be treated. Everyone will make mistakes, that’s just reality and people do change,” Hedison concluded.