HHS Chooses Love

Hailey Donaldson, Staff Writer

Hudson High has recently implemented a new SEL program during ARC on Tuesdays called Choose Love. The Choose Love Movement is an organization created by Scarlett Lewis to create a safe and loving environment for students worldwide. This program teaches students social emotions skills which are believed to improve our mindset and gives them the tools they need to get through their everyday lives.

On March 7, Choose Love began in all Hudson District Schools, adding an additional twenty minutes into our ARC while slightly changing the rest of our Tuesday schedules. This will continue until Tuesday, April 25. 

Lewis decided to create Choose Love when her Son, Jesse Lewis, was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in 2012. After his death, Scarlett found a message written by her son on a chalkboard. “Norturting Helinn Love” (nurturing, healing love.) These words inspired Lewis to forgive instead of holding a grudge against the person that killed her son. Even though Lewis had every right to be angry, she chose love and is now teaching others to choose love as well.

The program focuses especially on four traits: Courage, gratitude, forgiveness, and compassion. The benefits of learning these skills include less anxiety, a positive attitude, healthier relationships, and improved social skills. We need all of these things in order to assure that our school is a welcoming place to all students and to keep us protected from harm. 

In his September 23, 2022 Creating Connections newsletter, Superintendent Dr. Marco Rodrigues gave a ringing endorsement for the program, following the professional development training that staff received. He reflected, “ We hope this excitement ripples out from our corner through our whole community.”

ARC mentors are expected to go through these tools with their students and allow them to learn and grow mentally. The goal is that students feel less stressed and become more mindful throughout the school day after being taught these ideas. The final lesson on 4/25 will include surveys to allow students and staff to provide us with formal feedback.