Three Seniors Design Award-Winning Prosthetic

Back to Article
Back to Article

by Brianna Cabral

Drew Jackson, Ben Plucinski, and Dan Morton presented their year-long engineering project at WPI on May 24. They created a functioning golf prosthetic using a 3D printer. This presentation was part of the first STEM Hub, Project Lead The Way Showcase. They won a Capstone Excellence Award for their presentation.

stem 3

The Capstone Excellence Award that the seniors received at their presentation | by Brianna Cabral

Ideas for this design came from last year’s extracurricular project, which involved printing and delivering one of the e-Nable hands to a student at the middle school. The project focused on creating a prosthetic hand to swing a bat.

Though that design worked as an inspiration, the golf prosthetic functions very differently. “The hand was an active device that required a release mechanism that would release the bat while swinging,” Dailey explains.”The golf hand is passive after it ‘grabs’ the club and only releases the club when the user wants to remove it.”

Last year Dailey submitted the prosthetic hand for softball for an MIT-Lemelson grant. He and his students were finalists, but they were not selected for the year-long grant.

They also pursued this project because of the high price of sports prosthetics and the few prosthetics available for different sports. Plucinski explains that it would cost $5000 for just a custom socket and then another $800 if it’s a prosthetic that works for golf. Morton also adds that “anything sports specific isn’t covered by insurance. They only cover medically necessary devices, so all that money is out of pocket.”

Their design costs $15.75.

To test the durability of their prosthetic, they swung a golf club at a variety of objects. “We dropped it a few times, dropped some golf bags on it,” Plucinski explains. “When we were testing and swinging at the log, it actually bent the club in half, so you know it works.”

The testing and refining process followed a strict timeline. Dailey set these due dates to make sure they got their work done and stayed caught up.

All of this work was the student’s responsibility, and Dailey says, “In terms of designing, prototyping, testing, and refining their project, they have done an outstanding job.”

The students themselves are very proud of their product. “I think we have achieved a lot,” Jackson explains looking at his peers. “I think it had to do a lot with time management and just staying focused and getting into engineering mode.”

Even with all the work they have done, Dailey thinks there was still a flaw in their process. The seniors didn’t test their design on an actual amputee. User feedback certainly could have changed the final project,” Dailey explains. “But, this does not diminish their accomplishment.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Three Seniors Design Award-Winning Prosthetic”

1. Carol Hobbs on June 6th, 2017 1:09 pm

Amazing! Great coverage, Brianna. So great to see this kind of innovation at HHS. The photos are great here too.

2. Ms. Porter on January 26th, 2018 5:12 pm

The Videos are a nice addition! This kind of article is great for students to see before signing up for classes. Maybe some will head towards the engineering program!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Three Seniors Design Award-Winning Prosthetic

Featured

Boys Varsity Lax vs. Bromfield

Featured

And the Winner is. . .

Featured

Hudson High Pre-Prom Reception Pictures 2019

Featured

8th Grade Triple Threat Maddie Kiley Dominates Varsity

Featured

Remembering Susan Menanson

Featured

HPS responds to the Hudson Water Crisis

Featured

Day of Silence Continues the Call for Inclusion

Featured

Dreams to Reality: Hunter O’Connor Embarks on his MMA Journey

Featured

Getting to Know Jason Medeiros

Featured

Lights, Camera, Hudson!